The DEI committee is happy to report on the following actions carried out and milestones achieved since August 2020 across CSD.
Increasing the diversity of the CSD community
Collecting data on diversity in our PhD program (admissions and placement for women and URMs).
Collecting data on diversity of our faculty (hiring, placement, and retention for women and URMs).
- Expanded participation in the Richard Tapia Celebration of Diversity in Computing Conference and the Grace Hopper Celebration.
- Reached out to recruiting fair attendees to encourage them to apply for the PhD program and to offer them targeted advice on their applications.
- Worked with SCS to create the new fee waiver program for graduate admissions, which automatically exempts members of diversity-promoting organizations from application fees.
- Participation in the SCS LEAP Alliance partnership.
- Connecting students seeking advice about MS/PhD programs and applications to CMU volunteers.
- Setting up our Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) program and expanding participation in current REU opportunities with research adjacent programs.
- Investigating options and soliciting funding for a research-focused MS program.
- Expanding our committee to include alumni from URM groups.
- Developing new and improved rubric-driven admissions and hiring processes.
Improving the environment for members of the community
- Obtaining CSD-specific results from university-wide climate surveys.
- Collecting results of Graduate Student Review DEI-related supplemental questions.
- Collecting exit-survey responses.
- Improving reporting and accountability for all people in CSD.
- Adding DEI-related supplemental questions to the Doctoral Student Review (evaluation) form.
- Contributors to the organization of the SCS Seminar on DEI.